3 hours ago3 hr Administrator No. Since Purdue beat Illinois this last weekend, I thought I would pull up the entire game of UCLA vs Purdue and take a look and pass along my thoughts.The big picture? The Bruins were only leading by seven points with ten minutes left in the game, and the Boilermakers simply ran out of gas--especially on defense. (UCLA won 52-38) In the end, Purdue was intercepted at the goal line which would have tied the game. UCLA then went down and got another TD to close out the game...and I am feeling that our game could go that way--only with the Ducks making a defensive stop at the end, and beating the large 11.5 point spread.It is so hard to judge, because the Bruins looked pretty impressive on offense. Purdue put up a ton of points on UCLA because their QB was exceptional that day, and I sense weakness in the UCLA secondary--that we can exploit if we are looking for those receivers downfield this game. The openings will be there, but we need to have confidence in them getting open, and the Oregon QB delivering it as Purdue did.Nico Iamaleava I see why Nico Iamaleava helped Tennessee get into the Playoffs two years ago, as he can be pretty accurate and is not afraid to throw the ball downfield. With their running game, the Play-Action really helps their receivers and TEs get separation. While that helps, I was not overly impressed with the Bruin WRs/TEs, as I would like to think that our DBs can make enough plays to slow their air attack.The running attack is where I am most fascinated with UCLA....what were they doing? How was their blocking unique? Is that running back that good? Is their offense that special?No, as a ton of their plays....are also ours. Inside and Outside Zone with the Counters, but UCLA blocked for these plays extremely well. The real question became...are the Bruins that good at run-blocking, or is the Purdue front seven that weak at run defense? I am going with Purdue being weaker, but frankly--it is hard to tell, and--I don't know if Oregon's defensive line will stand up and play as they are able to. The inside run defense has improved...but is it enough? To me, that is where this game is decided; will our front seven on defense defeat enough of their blocks?I say, "YES," but it may take awhile. UCLA is going to score points, and we need to keep our nose out front to get a lead, and answer to anything the Bruins put on the scoreboard. I am leary because so many disregarded Oregon's offense during Chip's hay-day here, as we did not have 5-Star offensive linemen...but the OL coaching was superb.That could be happening here; UCLA could have extraordinary run-block coaching. But it will have to be proven as the game progresses. Wayne KnightI do believe that their Running Back, Wayne Knight, will give us grief. He is only 5'7" and hard to get to between his low-center of gravity, acceleration and jukes. Tackling him in the open field is going to be a big priority for the Ducks, to get him before he zips off. He epitomizes the Bruins to me as Nico does....they have some highly skilled players, but not enough of them yet.This game is going to be incredibly interesting to watch in real-time, but also to watch in replay because I love to watch good blocking. It is the magic of football to me....Earn Some Easy Money?I have a Duck-Buddy who is over age 65, and needs someone to give him a ride to the local hospital in Eugene-Springfield, and hang around him until bedtime due to the anesthesia after minor surgery. I would, but I have to work during the day, and since this nice fellow is offering a $250.00 fee to someone....it would help a guy who is alone, and you would earn some easy cash. If you want more information--email me charlesfobd@gmail.com or you can call me at 541-915-4541 for more information.Can you help a Duck-Buddy out? Mr. OBD
2 hours ago2 hr No. Nico's QBR is in the 30s, Dylan's is 90. Nico helps lock up one defender with his running threat making it easier for the RB and blockers.If there is a defining characteristic I see is they finish games super strong. Same was true for JMU against us. But I'm just not super worried here seeing that from a basic talent perspective Cal, SDSU and Rutgers were able to put up a bit of a fight. Maryland is the bottom feeder of the B1G. SDSU only won by 2 scores against Portland State. We've seen what Cal is.If we play our game for 4 quarters we'll be fine, and unfortunately this will make UCLA unranked and I'm not sure they can get that ranking back later. We'll see.
1 hour ago1 hr Moderator No. Thank you, Charles, for the in-depth look at No. 21 UCLA.Purdue is 2-3, and Barry Odom and the Boilermakers won the first game in two seasons against a Big Ten opponent: 24-17 at Illinois. But other than the thrashing by Notre Dame, Purdue has been competitive, including a double OT loss to 4-1 Wake Forest.FPI predicts Oregon by 14.6 (15) points with an 85% chance to win the game.But a remodeled UCLA has other ideas and will battle for 60 minutes.https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/weekly_syllabus_big_tens_middle_class_in_the_spotlight_during_massive_week_6_conference_showdowns/s1_13132_44391326?utm_source=mb&utm_mediu
57 minutes ago57 min No. 48-20 Ducks! The Bruin WR’s are only average and we should be able to handle them. Nico is a good QB. Excellent runner so we should put a spy on him. He has a lot of passes blocked at the LOS. Their RB’s are very good but the OL is suspect. They have played a nothing schedule. Is UCLA more talented than USC? Hell no, not anywhere on the field. For UCLA to win Lanning will have to be out schemed. The Ducks are simply better. Cal is decent, Purdue somewhat decent, San Diego State is lousy and Maryland is one of the worst teams in the country. The Bruins have to run to win. Stop that and they are dead meat. Chesney is a heck of a coach but this is not Indiana. Bring the USC effort and this should be a rout.
52 minutes ago52 min Author Administrator No. 3 minutes ago, Cigarstar said:Bring the USC effort and this should be a rout.Good on you for seeing it that way. I don't think it will be quite that easy..... Mr. OBD
36 minutes ago36 min No. This game should be easy for OBD's.........Chances are it won't be easy. Why? Because you don't know which Duck defense will show up.Chesney has plenty of film on the Duck Defense tendencies and glaring weaknesses. The Bruins will game plan to take advantage of those weaknesses.The Bruins opponents so far are 8 and 12 for the season. They have not been challenged. OBD's opponents are 12 and 7 and the 3 ranked opponents gave the Ducks all they could handle. I expect the Ducks to win and it should be a high scoring game. All of the Duck's Offensive skilled position starters have the talent to play on Sundays!Have the Bruins faced a team with that much talent?Not even close. The problem is that the Ducks are working to play up tp their potential. If they do, then this will be a 59-27 Duck win......If not the Ducks will be in a rock fight. More like 38-35.Go Ducks.....
25 minutes ago25 min No. I put both corners and Finney on an island, I have full confidence those 3 can play Man most of the game.Spy Nico with a safety or LB and load the box. get them behind the sticks on 1st and 2nd down and UCLA is done.Oregon was vulnerable the first 2 games. Lanning got embarrassed with the tells. I think Oregon is pissed, and they will be every game from here on out.I see a big win for Oregon. Low 40's DucksLow 20's UCLA
18 minutes ago18 min No. I know it is last year but look at Nico’s run performance against Penn State. Contain that and we simply out man UCLA everywhere. UCLA will play hard but we would have to be out schemed. We could just about play man in the secondary, spy onNico and crowd the LOS and blow them out. Our offense should be able grind them down as well. Chesney is a better coach than his talent.
3 minutes ago3 min Moderator No. 13 minutes ago, Log Haulin said:Spy Nico with a safety or LB and load the box. get them behind the sticks on 1st and 2nd down and UCLA is done.I agree LH. I was thinking let the speedster Jackson be a spy and we always have a big body with speed around the ball. Containing passing QBs at the cost of bringing pressure and sacks has not looked good so far but it also might be the best way to contain a dominant run team if the edges can stay discipled and hold the edge instead of always crashing towards the ball. Time for the D to step up and put their stamp on the game.
Create an account or sign in to comment