Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Our Beloved Ducks Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marsh Duck - Final Thoughts Before Oregon v UCLA

Featured Replies

No.

Happy Thursday everyone, I just realized I'm posting this a day early. It's a four day week for me so it feels like Friday, but isn't.

Anyways.... Some final thoughts before the game against UCLA on Saturday.

No image preview

Final Thoughts Before Oregon v UCLA

We had a bye week and one of the interesting stats I came across for Dan Lanning coming out of a bye-week is that he is 4-2.

  • Moderator
No.

Great thoughts David. I agree that the main thing to watch in this game is how much spice is added to line attack on defense. More pressure needs to be dialed up, line gaps need to be covered, edges need to be maintained all while DBs keep receivers in check. UCLA is dangerous but not overwhelming. This should be a great game for dialing up a few new wrinkles coming in and experimenting with adjustments on the fly.

On offense, I just want to see some continued maturation on the line and just let the ball handlers do what they do. I expect Raiola to continue to be a problem. I predict the Ducks finally look like the top ten team we expected them to be.

No.

While I'd like to see the front 4 be able to get home consistently on their own, I am not so sure this defense is capable of that against decent to elite O-Lines. If we can commit 5 to the rush on a regular basis, I believe our secondary is a better unit, in most situations, than the opposing receiving corps (exception: maybe Ohio State).

The goal should be to put Nico on an accelerated internal clock and bottle up his receivers. I think our run defense has improved; this seemed apparent at USC. Koi Perich either needs to emerge or Lanning should start giving Jett Washington more field time. There are things that should looks very similar to the JMU playoff game (with some new wrinkles). We need to exploit our experience and talent on D!

No.

I liked your defense evaluation, it would be nice to get more pressure on the QB. This should happen because of the lack of star power in UCLA's receiving room.

I have been having an issue with so many people in the national news making such a big deal about how a back-up quarterback beat USC. Riola has more starts (22) at the college level than Moore (20). I understand that according to the roster he is 2nd string but in reality he is 1B and Dante 1A. Riola would probably start at 95%+ of the teams in the country.

We are very lucky to have him, I will admit I was not a fan of getting him but I was wrong. I think we have our quarterback for 2027 & 28. (I was so hoping that Smith, Jr was going to work out)

  • Moderator
No.

I'd also like to see the safeties brought in closer to help cover the middle. Also it would be great for the LBs and DBs to stop staring at the opposing QB and pay attention to the receivers (as @Mike West has harped on many times).

  • Moderator
No.

Thank you, David.

A line of scrimmage and a 60-minute game for certain.

This will be the most talented roster UCLA has faced, by far. I hope the offense can put points on the board early and get UCLA out of its run game. This season, Nico is also part of the Bruins' run game.

Perich plays better, or bring in the Jett, Jett Washington.

Integrate Jett with the starting D. Inferior safety play will be a problem Saturday and against Nebraska and Northwestern, and it gives OBD no chance to win, with a chance of being embarrassed at Ohio State.

We saw enough of Jeremiah Smith blowing past Oregon's DBs his Freshman season in the Rose Bowl. 🤬

Enjoy your day off and Go Ducks!

  • Moderator
No.
No.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I remember last year that Trey McNutt was pushing for a big role before he got hurt.

Was it an injury that could take a year plus to get back to full strength? Did it cost him some quickness?

Just wondering why he has not been on the 2 deep or even talked about.

Is Jett Washington that much better?

Edited by Duckman60

No.

There are a lot of combinations you can play with and this team has a ton of talent.

Purchase should be a staple using a five man front with Jackson spying Nico. Jackson is fast and strong enough to get Nico in the dirt.

I think Flowers is beter than KP in run D imo. I would use him some in early downs to mix it up and crowd the box. He is a good tackle.

Finney? Finney is a great tackler and not shy of contact. Incrediblyathletic and plays with some violence for a natural corner.

I think a five man front early downs, mostly 1st, is key to getting contain on the edges and keeping Nico honest. Ducks can trust the corners and Finney in man on first down imo. Open up some bodies for the run D a bit.

I think Ify is going to be 1 team B1G and all american this year. He is playing really good football.

  • Administrator
No.
5 minutes ago, Log Haulin said:

Purchase should be a staple using a five man front

He left via the portal last spring.

David, you gave us something good to watch for, as Mike West has been suggesting this also to slow the run-game down. My thanks!

Mr. OBD

No.
29 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

He left via the portal last spring.

David, you gave us something good to watch for, as Mike West has been suggesting this also to slow the run-game down. My thanks!

Yea, I meant Nasir Wyatt. My bad. I Was thinking about Purchase when I was writing that out. Faulty wiring

  • Administrator
No.
8 minutes ago, Log Haulin said:

Yea, I meant Nasir Wyatt. My bad. I Was thinking about Purchase when I was writing that out. Faulty wiring

No sweat, and I agree with you about Wyatt.

Mr. OBD

No.

I'm not sure we need to blitz this game, but I do agree with loading the box and corners just manning up. I don't even care if it's an extra safety or lb or dl, just get one or even 2 more people in the box.

Put a fence around the backfield and force Nico and his WRs to win consistently through the air, which I don't think they can do. Wear down their OL while you are at it.

No.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.