59 minutes ago59 min No. Good morning everyone.I want to share a concept with you that is both bad news and good news. Let me explain the bad news first. I believe the players are confused about the concepts they are being taught. This isn’t a direct criticism of the coaches in my view because offenses are way ahead of defenses at this point (in my opinion). Let me explain. Back in Ancient Times, when pharaohs weren’t mummies yet (that is when us old geezers were playing football), Cornerbacks and Safeties had simple rules for coverages. Cornerbacks would cover guys until they passed off coverage to Safeties. Or both would double team receivers.When a Safety helped in middle of the field, he would look for Post Patterns, Deep Seam Patterns and Dig routes (the old school version of a Down and In). When he helped cover the sidelines, he looked for Fade Patterns, Corner Routes, or Post Corner Routes. Most Coverage Packages were simple: Cover 2- two deep Safeties and 2 Cornerbacks that would cover short routes outside. Linebackers would cover the short middle. In Cover 2, the Safeties must look for both deep middle and deep sideline routes. Or Cover 4-in which all four of those positions covered 4 zones deep. Three defenders would cover the short middle and outside. Zone coverages emphasizes taking the short routes away so the Quarterback must look further downfield to complete a pass. Of course, Man Coverage existed, which was every defender was responsible for a Receiver.Safeties always prioritize preventing anyone from running past them as a general rule of thumb. It appears the Safeties are horrible at man-to-man coverage. That explains why Lanning has them 18,000 yards from the line of scrimmage. Which leads me to believe I have figured out why OBD present every team a Grand Canyon to pillage at will. I am going to show you one play. It is a key play in the Boise State game on their very first drive. OBD failed on this play. But here is the good news. The coverage they tried to execute works very well for the personnel on our team.First, I want to show you my amateur version of Sports Center. It describes what Oregon’s strategy is on the play. It is showing Cover 3-three deep safeties and the Linebackers and Cornerbacks blanketing the short middle and outside routes. Now that we witnessed the high school version of “ I want to be in media”, let me explain why this can be good news for Our Beloved Ducks. Brandon Finney and Iffy Obidebwu are lockdown Corners that are flat out hard to beat. Finney is so good, they were putting him at Nickel to cover the fast slot receivers. When run properly, Cover 3 solves most of OBD’s cover issues. It shuts down the middle routes (the dig routes in particular-where wide receivers run horizontally to the middle of the field). If the Linebackers find and cover guys they are supposed to instead of looking at the QB, the short middle of the field is no longer an issue. But the coverage can be converted easily to Cover 4 post snap-which is even better. Just about every type of deep route is covered because Cover 4 Zone can be designed as a Matchup Zone-which is essentially Man coverage. That fits perfectly with Iffy and Finney’s excellent coverage skills. The challenge is the Safeties aren’t taught proper coverage skills. In this case, rules. They are positioned too far off the line of scrimmage pre snap, and they don’t seem to know which guys they should be covering. Hence, in the play I showed, Finney runs to the middle of the field instead of covering the deep third (the sideline) like he was supposed to. This is so common, I believe Offensive Coordinators are simply sending receivers to areas they know the Safeties won’t cover. I showed a pretty amateur description of Cover 3. I apologize for that as I am trying learn how to properly diagram plays and concepts in video format. I want to be able to show what the coverage is, and the types of coverages that would suit OBD. So please bear with me. Once I get up to speed, I can show you some awesome stuff. In any event, Lanning’s doctor visits will require a reboot. Which, as David Marsh has pointed out, may require a new set of coaches. We will have to wait and see about that. The good news in my opinion is this is a fairly simple challenge to solve if going back to basics becomes a priority. As usual, I look forward to your comments.
Create an account or sign in to comment