11 hours ago11 hr Administrator No. My Duck-Buddies, I have some observations after viewing the game a second time, but thought I would give you my conclusion right up front. This team is not like anything I pictured going into the season. With all the positions on the team--only running back is set and performing as we thought they would; all the others, especially on defense, are in flux and could progress into a nationally dominating team, or only progress nominally yet this season.We are nowhere close to what I envisioned us as being going into the season with a No. 2 ranking. Only the offensive line should be working out the starters, yet we have issues at nearly every other position on the team. We have the upside to progress into a top-5 team, but the probability of that occurring is less than I wish it was. This team has more questions than answers at this juncture, as we are at nearly the opposite of what I pictured us being at this stage.We are appropriately ranked at the moment, because we have so much in flux. (No. 15 in the nation) On defense, we have Brandon Finney Jr. at Nickel guarding the slot receiver--something he hasn't done before. We are starting Na' eem Offord at field corner, a crucial position for a player who has very little experience for us as a sophomore.Peyton WoodyardWe are playing Alabama transfer Peyton Woodyard quite a bit at safety instead of Aaron Flowers as even Dan Lanning admits that too many mistakes have occurred at safety. That is even before we get to the issues that Minnesota transfer Koi Perich brought with him to our secondary. This group is in massive flux...At linebacker we see Dylan Williams playing quite a bit, as well as Nasir Wyatt, as both been very hit-and-miss for the Ducks. Sometimes they scrape into the run-fit perfectly, and other times they are out of position, and gives up a big gap. Like the defensive backs, the linebackers are still working out their challenges.Defensive line is underperforming--massively, IMHO. Players with this much experience should have more TFLs, and sacks than we do after four games. They are improving, but have a large upside to achieve to match their preseason hype.On offense, we have an offensive line that has improved, but is far below what we have had the last three years. Douglas Utu at left guard is a tremendous talent, as he is a big kid with very little experience. He was replaced for almost the entire second half by Kawika Rogers, who has also played very little for us in the past. The starter at right guard in first game, Michael Bennett from Yale, hardly saw the field at all on Saturday. Gernorris Wilson at right tackle has disappeared on a almost equal basis as well.Jamari JohnsonWe have a gifted TE in Jamari Johnson, but almost no depth. (Experienced depth that is)Wide Receivers would be ideal if Jerimiah McClellan was not hurt; but Messiah Hampton has filled in for the meantime as well as any true freshman could.Everyone knows the issues at quarterback, and who knows where that ends up?Placekicking and punting has been as consistent as we saw in fall practice; it is remarkable considering they are both completely new to Oregon--unlike most of the players at other positions.We are at team growing and evolving, and not at all what I pictured coming into this season. Right now we look like a nine-win team, but could improve into an 11 win team for the regular season, but that is a low probability result. We will need to see incremental improvement in each game if we are to challenge the Buckeyes in a little over a month from now. We should not be growing, but showing off our superiority with this team...but alas, this is not that kind of year after all.Dylan RiolaI thought OC Drew Mehringer really gained us an advantage with the unbalanced and heavily loaded offensive lines at times, and you could argue that it was the difference in this very close game that was tied at 27-all with 12:41 left in the game. The Coordinators, like the players, are in flux, but more-so than we figured we would be at this point. It was good to see some blitzes and stunts from our DC, but the results after the first drive were underwhelming.This is a highly overrated team. If our passing attack moves up a few levels--we can become nationally relevant, but that will require our QBs to see the entire field, and do not automatically throw to the receiver in the flat as I saw both QBs do in this game again.It is tough to reconsider my analysis of the team, but what I saw before is what I believed we would see now. But my reappraised reality of where the team is playing at--is very sobering. It can still be done, but I will have to change my expectations based upon what I am currently seeing.Perhaps it will be much better in 3-4 games? Mr. OBD
9 hours ago9 hr No. I think Oregon is putting up number close to top 10 offensively. I could be wrong though.This O line is very young and has made good progress through 4 games. They played 3 top 25 ranked teams so far and being 2-1 with new Coordinators and a new o line isn't too bad. They have also lost the best TE in the country for a bit, a dude at WR, their best RB is dinged up and the starting QB is out.The D played a top 10 Offense in USC and did a good job imo. Safeties are horrible tho.Held a high power O to 2-11 on 3rd down and under 30 points. Held the run game to about 3.5 yard per. Played much better than last year in redzone D.The corners had chunks of lockdown play in pivitol parts of the game late. AW is banged up and hasn't played like we expect from A. Washington.The massive adversity in the second Q was pivitol. Thought this team handled it very well. Could be a turning point for this team.Dan didn't seem to happy Wed. I don't think they are practicing well and its showing up in games.Whatever it is I hope they get it fixed because they have a ton of talent. And like you said, they are performing like a #15 with #1talent
4 hours ago4 hr No. Charles, thank you for your observations and resulting thoughts. So much of your assessments were spot on.(IMHO)The preseason or off season hype about the 2026 Duck team was way over the top. It created a very high and perhaps unrealistic expectation for the fans. I was one of those fans.Granted, I was excited that Dante and the big front 4 on defense were all coming back. This Duck fan was certain this would be the year the Ducks captured the elusive national championship. Afterall, I am a fan so i ignored the fact the oline would have new pieces that needed to have time to jell. The best QB's and RB's go nowhere without the big boys up front. And the D would be without Boettcher at LB and many #2 players on D transferred out.Warning signs, big red flags. And the BSU and OSU games validated that. Players need game film to view to work and improve.Charles astutely pointed out the D line can not get home when the linebackers and DB's leave gaps in coverage. Those gaps allow all those 3rd and long conversions. Short QB drops and quick releases can capitalize on those gaps.Moving the chains has been easy for our opponents. The D is giving up 30 points a game. That does not reflect the PSU game/scrimmage.Our QB's and running backs cannot excel without run blocking and pass protection. All be it, things have improved with the O line the PSU scrimmage game and against USC.I have rewatched the USC game 3 times and against the classless trojans the RB's had some holes for positive gains. I lineman were downfield blocking. Thats improvement.DR had pressure but he slid or side-stepped that pressure. DR kept his eyes downfield and found his open receiver.In the last 2 games their were big chunk plays. That does not happen without improvement.. However, take out the 84 points scored in the scrimmage game and the Ducks are averaging about 35 points per game. That is not top 5 production. Won't cut it against tOSU, IU, Texas, Georgia and others. This Duck does not see our team winning against the big boys 35-30.More improvement is needed on both sides of the ball. As the coaches help the players improve we should see the offense score more points.As for the defense, the back seven players cannot close those gaps or wide open spaces in this scheme. The defense should take advantage of the players skill sets. Maybe?I believe in DL, his staff and his players. This current team can finish 10-2. This current team will be destroyed in The Shoe by tOSU.......This leaves no room for a bad game against the other 7 teams they play.Go Ducks. Keep improving and beat the Bruins.
3 hours ago3 hr Moderator No. No worries! During the bye week, my minions are on the road in their DeLoreans, searching for Doctor Emmet Brown and the Flux Capacitor. Others are scouring our planet for enough plutonium to provide 1.21 gigawatts of energy. I'm optimistic that by 11/7, OBD will reach at least 88% efficiency, return to 2021, and once again Flux Ohio State. 😁Seriously, Charles, what a terrific and insightful look at the season to date. I was hoping we Ducks fans would have an easy ride on the Lazy River. Instead, we're on the Kingda Ka roller coaster. A terrible way for it to happen, but after the vicious hit on Dante, I think the team galvanized, and I hope the troops are ready to play to their potential and play as a team. Your Xs and Os review of the team to date is, as always, enlightening. I don't have the skill to detail deficiencies; I do know that the team better show up with a bad attitude and ready to ball out.Before the trip to Columbus, Oregon plays No. 23 UCLA, No. 33 Nebraska, then Illinois on the road, with the Illini having two weeks to prepare, and Northwestern at home. No easy day before Ryan Day. UCLA and Nebraska are the two back-to-back home games remaining on the schedule. Beginning with the Illinois game in Week 8, Oregon will be on the road every other week. This is a back-loaded schedule. Eight games without a break, with one trip to the Central and two trips to the Eastern time zones. Again, Charles, thanks for the detailed off-week analysis. Beat the Bruins!
3 hours ago3 hr No. I think a lot of this comes down to the inexperience of many of the position coaches. They just have failed to prepare these guys for the season in the off season. We are discovering now just how badly off this team is. I remember reading in the off season that they were "ahead of schedule" in their playbook instillation. I am going to say that that was now untrue even if they believed it at the time. It probably points to the coaching at the time failing to evaluate how well players were integrating the playbook. I am not saying these young coaches aren't talented but they lack experience and they are frantically working to try and make up the gap of preparation that formed over the off season.
3 hours ago3 hr Moderator No. It makes me wonder if the weakness on defense is primarily due to changes in scheme from last season. Feels like Coach Hampton has moved stuff around just for the sake of it (it's not uncommon for a new boss coming in to want to put their stamp on things even if it's not necessary).
3 hours ago3 hr Moderator No. Dan on needed improvement -Oregon Ducks On SIDan Lanning Identifies Biggest Fixes on the Oregon Ducks...The hit and ensuing injury on No. 15 Oregon Ducks quarterback Dante Moore stole headlines in the win over the No. 18 USC Trojans, allowing the Oregon defense to
2 hours ago2 hr Moderator No. 1 hour ago, David Marsh said:I think a lot of this comes down to the inexperience of many of the position coaches. They just have failed to prepare these guys for the season in the off season. We are discovering now just how badly off this team is.I remember reading in the off season that they were "ahead of schedule" in their playbook instillation. I am going to say that that was now untrue even if they believed it at the time. It probably points to the coaching at the time failing to evaluate how well players were integrating the playbook.I am not saying these young coaches aren't talented but they lack experience and they are frantically working to try and make up the gap of preparation that formed over the off season.Agree, for the most part. Installing a playbook is only the first stage, and they probably did an okay job of that, individually. Where I see the OC, DC inexperience affecting performance is in what must accompany the X’s & O’s: teaching how to communicate the playbook between one another which is what leads to the kind of confidence that breeds quick play evaluation and execution.Talented coordinators - which we have - must still learn how to make their plans work correctly between 11 individuals. That takes time and experience.When you have the potential, there’s always the chance to get it right.
2 hours ago2 hr No. 5 minutes ago, Washington Waddler said:When you have the potential, there’s always the chance to get it right.And amazing athletes... Oregon's athletes won against Boise State and were the only reason why the debacle in Stillwater wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I still believe Lanning needs to take a hard look at his staff at the end of the season but during the season there is no point in firing anyone as it will only damage any chance at righting the ship.
1 hour ago1 hr Moderator No. Admittedly, I haven't looked into Chris Hampton's coaching background in depth until now. I figured since he had recent, successful experience as a DC at Tulane that he'd had fewer issues than Meringer taking over those duties in Eugene. Seems that's an obvious wrong call on my part. Taking a cursory look over his coaching career, he's had plenty of years as a DB positional coach but only 2 years as an actual DC.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_HamptonHe was there for the 2021 and 2022 seasons (the later of which they beat USC for their bowl game win). Tulane was a pretty bad football program leading up to his hiring and is reflected in his first season stats (opponents scored 34 ppg on average on them):https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/football/stats/2021They did significantly improve in his 2nd season, opponent scoring average dropped to 22.2 ppg:https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/football/stats/2022I found a couple of analysis videos of the Tulane defense during his time there:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLkuGFhOiuYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7EO2hLdwjUSo I guess DL hired him on given his potential based on that 1 instance of season-over-season improvement in the AAC? I'm not informed enough to know if that was the correct decision or not. Personally I would've liked a couple more years of DC experience that showed consistent, positive impact before taking someone on.
52 minutes ago52 min No. Great comments from the forum.On a side note i would be remiss if i didn't give Mike West a shout out for his screen shots of the gaps and wide open spaces that our defensive scheme allows.I really feel the offense will improve and add 7 to 10 points per game.But the defense needs some more change ups and variations, soon.In the Texas vs Tennessee game, Texas had 8 sacks. In one game! Do the Ducks have 8 all year?Go Ducks....
42 minutes ago42 min No. I completely agree. The massive disconnect between pre-season expectations and our actual performance falls squarely on the assistant coaches—specifically our new offensive and defensive coordinators.The real head-scratcher here is how DL didn't see this coming. It had to have shown up in practice. If you play like you practice, anyone watching those sessions should have seen these red flags well before the first four games of the season.Judging by some of his recent comments—and his trip up to my neck of the woods to meet with the Seahawks head coach—it seems like DL is only now realizing just how much his new assistants coaches need to be coached up. Edited 41 minutes ago41 min by John Charles
30 minutes ago30 min Author Administrator No. 10 minutes ago, John Charles said:The real head-scratcher here is how DL didn't see this coming.We have NEVER had NIL to this degree before....pretty hard to know how some will react. Perhaps that is why he is talking a coach who works with professionals? Mr. OBD
6 minutes ago6 min No. 33 minutes ago, John Charles said:Judging by some of his recent comments—and his trip up to my neck of the woods to meet with the Seahawks head coach—it seems like DL is only now realizing just how much his new assistants coaches need to be coached up.For many of these new young coaches they don't have a safety jet anymore.Koa Ka'ai, to pick on him as the new QB coach for a moment, apparently did most of the work last year with QBs but he still had Stein to fall back on when he needed it. Who does he fall back on and who is coaching him up now?
Create an account or sign in to comment